Thursday 28 April 2016

Seven Miles of Steel Thistles: the book



"There are seven miles of hill on fire for you to cross, and there are seven miles of steel thistles and seven miles of sea."


The quotation is from an Irish fairy tale, 'The King Who Had Twelve Sons': the hero has to ride his pony over three-times-seven miles of punishing obstacles to reach the islanded castle where lives 'the daughter of a king of the eastern world, with a pearl of gold on every rib of her hair'.  When I first read it, years ago, it seemed to me a metaphor not only for the creative effort and difficulty of writing a book, which was what I was currently engaged on, but of life and its struggles in general. Nothing worthwhile comes easy. And so this is what I named my blog, and now here is a book.


‘Seven Miles of Steel Thistles’ is a collection of my essays on fairy tales and folklore, published by the Greystones Press.  Many of the essays began life as blog posts, but since blog posts tend to be ephemeral things, often written in haste, I went back to each and every one to revise and rewrite them. So at least half of the material here is new.  You'll find me talking about fairy brides, Japanese fox-spirits, selkies and White Ladies - taking a new look at Cinderella and the Sleeping Beauty and other fairy-tale heroines - following the fortunes of the Lost Kings of Fairyland - finding what happened when William Butler Yeats successfully summoned the Queen of the Fairies, and wondering why and in what circumstances people actually believe in fairies.  

On a personal note, the last year has been a difficult one. Much of my time has been taken up with caring for my increasingly-frail and much-loved mother; those of you who are dealing with similar situations will know what this means.  Time has been scarce either to write or to update this blog, yet here it is, coming back to life, like the thin blades of green thrusting up through the sooty dust on the scorched hills. 

Seven miles of hill on fire and seven miles of steel thistles and seven miles of sea to cross, and yet:

'He gave his face to the way, and he would overtake the wind of March that was before him, and the wind of March that was after would not overtake him.'


‘Seven Miles of Steel Thistles’ is available from Amazon in both print
and e-book formats


14 comments:

  1. Me too. I am delighted to know "Seven Miles" is now available!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to read this. Love the cover, such a beautiful work of Arthur Rackham's and I think rather perfect for your colection of work. I am so sorry to hear that your Mother is frail, I cared for my parents when they were old, it is not an easy task, and well done to you for also continuing to work. Lovely to see you back blogging too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou LeeAnn! Penny and Sue, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When will it be available? In ebook?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now, Sue - http://amzn.to/1YVfamS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray! You've done the Steel Thistles book! Congratulations to you and the Greystones Press both. Am heading right on over to amazon now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the new book, Kath! I've just ordered it and am looking forward to a good read. Do you remember the fairy story you wrote me for my 21st birthday? -- I still have it amongst my treasures. Much love, Kate (Toad 3).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks darling Kate! x (I do, but you must show it me again one day!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, that is so wonderful! I am sorry about your mother. Manny blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I stumbled on your blog a few years back and enjoy it very much; I will look out for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the book, which you know I can't wait to dive into. And many hugs and support for your personal struggles this past year. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katherine, I am so happy for you. This is wonderful news. I've been hoping you would do such a thing. Your insights, and the way you package them, have meant a great deal to me since I first discovered you for myself in 2010. I just told my family that your book is the only present I want for Mothers' Day.

    After I've read it, would you consider allowing me to interview you for Luna Station Quarterly, an American online speculative fiction journal for emerging women authors? I am an assistant editor there as well as a regular blogger, writing mostly about fairy tales. It would be a huge honour for me. I want to get the word out about the book and your particular take on fairy tales, always engaging and inspirational.

    Also, I wish you well during this very trying chapter of your life. I'm glad your mother has a loving daughter to care for her. I also hope you get the respite you need.

    Take care and best wishes,
    Cathrin Hagey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cathrin I'd love to and am very touched by your message. I've just found you on facebook and sent a friend request, so if you accept that, I can message you my email.

    ReplyDelete